April 22, 2008

I am not ashamed!

I have restarted my read through D.M. Lloyd-Jones sermons on the book of Romans. I confess to really not having been a reader of sermons much before coming to work at Banner of Truth, but I have been converted, without a doubt, to believing in the incredible value that they hold. And the Lloyd-Jones series is so rich; I am reading it together with a 17-year old guy from our kids' school. Now there's a challenge for you ... keeping up with a 17-year old!
"I am not ashamed of the gospel ... it is the power of God unto salvation."
My family are I are heading into the woods today for two days of camping. D.M. Lloyd-Jones is going with us. In addition to playing with the fam, and perhaps as a follow-up to last week's T4G, I want to both meditate on and relish in the thought of the gospel. In just one part of Lloyd-Jones sermon, he preached about this "salvation" that this gospel is "the power of God unto" - "What does it mean?" he asks. His answer: First, it must mean that man is delivered from sin ... from the guilt of sin, from the power of sin, and from the pollution of sin. Secondly, it means that we are completely reconciled to God; our communion with God is completely restored. And the third thing he mentions is that it restores to us the hope of glory. You know, I have to ask myself ... why would anyone be ashamed at such a thing as that?
I hope you take time to medidate on the gospel today, as well.
Grace & peace to you,
Steve

No comments: